There has been a house of some sort on this site since the 13th century, originally little more than a hunting-lodge, serving the Park granted by Royal Charter in the 13th Century to the de Pierpoints. The house in its present form dates from 1586. It was built by Geroge Goring who held the lucrative post of ward of courts under Elizabeth 1. His grandson was made the Earl of Norwich and was one of the main financiers of King Charles 1 in the Civil War. The Earl’s son, Sir George Goring was a leading general in the Civil War. After four generations of Gorings, Danny was sold to Peter Courthope in 1650. In 1702, Barbara Courthope married Henry Campion, and in 1725 they made Danny their home, and soon undertook extensive alterations, as is confirmed by the date 1728 and their initials on the leaden water-pipes. Several generations of Campions followed.